St. Joseph Missouri History Synopsis
Saint Joseph, byname St. Joe , city, couch (1846) of Buchanan county, northwestern Missouri, U.S. It is located on the Missouri River (there bridged to Elwood, Kansas), 28 a long way (45 kilometres) north of Kansas City. A trading post was set up (1826) on the webpage by Joseph Robidoux, a French Canadian trapper from St. Louis. The Platte Purchase (1836), adding about 2,000,000 acres (800,000 hectares) of Indian land to their state territory, led to an influx of settlers. Robidoux organized the town in 1843 and named it for his patron saint. During the California Gold Rush (1849), St. Joseph boomed as a steamboat bottom and supply depot for westward-bound wagon trains. The american terminus of the Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad (completed 1859), it became the eastern terminus of the Pony Express, launched from St. Joseph on April 3, 1860. Through the American Civil War the town became a spot for guerrilla functions and was frequented by boundary outlaws such as W.C. Quantrill and Jesse Wayne; the second option was killed (1882) in his home there (which has been conserved).
Inside the 1840s the town was well on its way to becoming an important meatpacking centre but was eclipsed by Omaha, Nebraska, and Kansas City when transcontinental railroads bypassed it. It offers survived as one of the great livestock and grain markets of the central west and it is the trade centre of an comprehensive agricultural region. Producers are diversified and include structural steel, chemicals, soybean products, pet foods, university and office products, machinery, and batteries. Tourism is of growing importance.
“Lover’s Lane, Saint Jo,” by Eugene Field, expresses the poet’s nostalgic remembrance of the St. Joseph street where he courted his partner. Patee House, a countrywide historic landmark, includes the reconstructed headquarters of the Pony Express office. The Pony Express Museum is housed in the initial firm that was the starting point for the rides west to Sacramento, Calif., and the St. Joseph Museum homes a notable collection of Native North american artifacts. Pigeon Hill Wildlife Area and Lewis and Clark Express Park are nearby. The city is the couch of Missouri Western State University or college (founded 1915 as St. Joseph Junior College). Inc. 1843. Pop. (2000) 73,990; St. Joseph Metro Area, 122,336; (2010) 76,780; St. Joseph Metro Area, 127,329.
City (1990 pop. 71,852), couch of Buchanan co., NW Mo., on the Missouri River; inc. 1845. It is the trade center of your rich agricultural and farming area. The town of Saint Joseph is a huge market for livestock and grain, and has meatpacking and food- and leather-processing plant life. Among its manufactures are electronic products, machinery, chemicals, clothing, and pet food. The city was organized c.1843 on the webpage of the trading post founded (1826) by Joseph Robidoux. In 1860, St. Joseph became the eastern terminus of the pony exhibit. The town was also an early, important railroad center until bypassed by the transcontinental railroad. Appealing will be the pony-express stables (now a museum), the poet Eugene Field’s home, and the location museum with noted Native North american relics. Missouri Western State College is there.